Thursday 9 February 2012

Pete Ran After Van The Man...

Live music or the prospect of it was putting a spring in my step last week.  In October I had purchased two tickets to see the legendary Van the Man in the Odyssey Arena.  Unfortunately, Julie had picked up the flu bug (more on this later) and was unable to attend.  What to do in such situations I ask myself?  Stay at home and nurse her through the fever?  No, the answer was to find someone else who would want to go to the gig.
After meeting up with Darryl (my best man & unexpected owner of a Van Morrison ticket) we headed to meet Andy & Linda, great friends from college, in McHughs.  The buzz was great and there was much pre-concert excitement surrounding the gig.  Would Van turn up?  If he turns up will he speak to the audience?  Will he play the hits or self-indulge by only playing his 'new stuff'? 

After a warm-up by his daughter Shana the great man opened up with Brown Eyed Girl and played a fantastic set.  Not only does his talent shine through on stage but his band are arguably some of the best musicians around.  And boy did Van put them through their paces, demanding only the best performance from them.  Watching him on stage was like watching the leader of an orchestra not only conducting but also singing all the choral pieces. 

Quite simply - Superb. 

After the gig I was heading back down the M2 when hunger attacked and was subsequently defeated by a half and half with sweet and sour sauce.  On Saturday morning, Zack's rugby at Eton Park was cancelled again due to frozen pitches.  (Soft game that rugby??)  This provided a very 'small' window of opportunity to mark off race number 3 from 40.  Those with kids know that it can be tricky to get everyone out the door at the best of times but on this occasion we managed to make it with time to spare for the Parkrun at the Belfast Waterworks.  I have ran this venue twice last year and this was the first Parkrun to set up on the island.  This time Julie and the boys waited in the car before venturing out to see Dad cross the line.  Julie is an expert at gauging when to do this and realises that there is no point on waiting to see me cross the 5K line 15 minutes after the start when she can enjoy the heat of the car for a few minutes longer.

As I made my way to the start line it was great to meet up with more familiar faces and friends from the running community, including Alan Ritchie (the eventual winner - remember Parkrun is not a race!!)  It was also great to get a quick catch up with Mags Mathieson, a fine example of someone whose passion for running shines through even when faced with injury.  A remarkable girl who has also taken volunteering at events to a whole new level. 

"Why am I here?"  "What was I thinking of?" "I need a pee (again)"

These regular thoughts were going through my mind before the race start and then suddenly we were off.  This run was bringing an element of pressure as I was racing it.  No fancy dress, no dog, no kids running alongside, therefore NO EXCUSES...  My plan was to set off steady and listen to my body,  a steady start led to me feeling fairly strong after one lap and I was able to hold a reasonable pace right to the line.  This was where being met by Julie and the boys was really heartwarming.

I hadn't looked at my watch during the whole 5K and was pleased to receive the text message from Parkrun detailing my time.  Everyone enjoyed a coffee, juice and biscuit afterwards.  Although, this was not sufficient reward for Julie and the kids following me up to North Belfast - breakfast was on the cards.  Nobody was in the mood for soup and sandwiches at the Culloden.  Something more substantial was in order.  Having lived and studied in Belfast for over 15 years I am fairly familiar with many establishments in the University Area.

This seemed the ideal place to search for a bite to eat and it was in Maggie Mays on Botanic Avenue where we all tucked into breakfast.  French toast, a fry, bagels with peanut butter and jam washed down with steaming coffee.  I'll let you guess who had what, anyways I can highly recommend it.



Check out the new running shoes ;)


As it was Chinese New Year we went down to Belfast's very own Chinatown, Donegall Pass.  This road is full of characters and it was great for the boys to embrace this culture.  Not only Chinese but also a large contingent of Japanese and Thai people have made this part of South Belfast their home, bringing a richness in cuisine and culture.  The traditional Chinese dragons were dancing in front of each shop door, something which represents a clean start and the bringing of good luck.  This seemed alien to me until I remembered that a good friend of mine insists that I am the first visitor through his door on New Year's Day.   Not only that but I must bring a piece of coal.  Party-goers were also giving out fortune cookies and there were as many free sweets and maltesers as you could eat.  The only snag was that you had to lift and eat them using chopsticks - a challenge that the young Ballymena men took to like ducks (in plum sauce) to water.  Events took an hilarious turn when a lobster decided to make a break from a customers shopping bag in the Asian supermarket.  Ben and Zack were in disbelief and shock at the sight of it body popping across the shop floor in their direction.

Sunday morning arrived and this would normally be my long run of the week.  Instead I luxuriated in a lie-in followed by lunch with Mum and Dad.  It did dawn on me that I still need to get the long runs done as I do not want to be suffering in the latter stages of either the Belfast or London Marathons.  15 cold and miserable tea time miles later I'm done.  Quite literally.

Post Script:

Race #3/40 - Waterworks Parkrun 166 runners -

25Peter FLEMING20:13


PPS Julie no longer has the flu, I have.  (Obviously the more deadly manflu strain)

XIN NIAN KUAI LE

No comments:

Post a Comment