Wednesday 18 April 2012

The morning after...

The next morning I woke up with the thoughts of having a nice rest day after the 13.1 miles run less than 24 hours before.  Then I remembered that I had another race to complete as part of my challenge.  This was the Sport Relief Mile hosted by Ballymena United in conjunction with Ballymena Runners.  What had I been thinking off?  Worse still, I had entered the 6 mile race, it must have seemed better value!  My intention was to arrive at the Showgrounds and enjoy a leisurely 6 mile run.  After all, there was no pressure, this was not a race, it was a charity event. 

The event was well attended and it was fantastic to see a great number of families at the event and more importantly many people taking part in their first ever running event.  Of course, friends who were marshaling at the event started the old wind up routines.  "Peter, you have a good chance of finishing in the medals etc etc'  There did appear to be some 'serious runners' who had turned up, although as it will become apparent, they opted for the 1 and 3 mile options. 

After the announcements, we were off and I decided to tuck in behind a couple of other runners and take it nice and steady.  After approximately 1 mile it was clear that this was gonna be a 2 horse race.  It was tough going and I could feel the time on my feet at Larne starting to make itself felt.  Thankfully, I had given Jonny Graham from my club a drinks bottle and he was able to provide water on two occasions during the race.  In true sportsmanship I offered the drink to my fellow runner who was still running with me at around the four mile mark.  With just over two miles to go I apologetically made a break for it and picked up the pace (only very slightly).  The run finished in the Ballymena Showgrounds.  I was leading a race, in fact I was going to win one!!  Entering the grandstand area I could hear the commentator announce my name and that I was the first 6 mile competitor home.  After crossing the line, I was interviewed on the PA.  I was absolutely 'spent' but have faint memories of saying how hot it was out there and congratulated everyone on such a great event.

For once when I got home and Julie asked me how I'd done, I was able to say I'd won!!  For a club plodder like myself, I'll treasure that win, although I doubt many others will :)

Peter Fleming - Sport Relief 6 Miles - 1st place. 

PS I won in just under 48 mins and most other entrants were 'walkers'

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment